
I'm doing research on Percy's boat for my novel. Really, I need details not for the boat that sunk in the storm and killed him, but the boat he and Byron shared while at Villa Diodatti. I'm going to assume there is more written about the former, which I can apply to my writing about the latter. From Wikipedia comes this passage:
The vessel, an open boat was custom-built in Genoafor Shelley. It did not capsize but sank; Mary Shelley declared in her "Note on Poems of 1822" (1839) that the design had a defect and that the boat was never seaworthy. In fact the boat was seaworthy, the sinking was due to the storm and poor seamanship of the three on board.[7]
In an aside, there is this from Poetry Archives, which I'd like to use as an introductory epigram for Chapter 4, when Mary is beginning the writing to Frankenstein. It's from Percy's "To a Skylark,"
Like a poet hidden
In the light of thought,
Singing hymns unbidden,
Till the world is wrought
To sympathy with hopes and fears it heeded not:
Another source on the drowned boat, The Biscayne Bay Review (a fascinated site, chock full of info) comes from Dan Roberts, given the responsibility by Byron for finding and auctioning off the boat. Here is what he had to say about the remains:
The two masts were carried away just above board, the bowsprit broken off close to the bows, the gunwale stove in, and the hull half full of blue clay, out of which we fished clothes, books, spy-glass, and other articles. A hamper of wine that Shelley bought at Leghorn, a present for the harbour-master of Lerici, was spoilt, the corks forced partly out of the bottles, and the wine mixed with salt-water. You know, this is effected by the pressure of the cold sea-water. We found in the boat two memorandum-books of Shelley's, quite perfect, and another damaged, a journal of Williams's, quite perfect, written up to the 4th of July. I washed the printed books, some of them were so glued together by the slimy mud, that the leaves could not be separated, most of these things are now in Ld. B's custody.
I came across a book published in England titled Shelley's Boat, which I've ordered from Abebooks.
No comments:
Post a Comment