Friday, June 26, 2009

Thomas Jefferson . . . Hogg

I wrote about Thomas Jefferson in a previous post today, and now I'm writing about Thomas Jefferson Hogg. Oh, the connections we make! Anyway, TJ Hogg is connected to P and M Shelley. According to Wikipedia, he was associated with Percy in the pamphlet entitled, the Necessity of Atheism, and he and Shelley were both expelled from Oxford.

Anne Mellor relates the following weirdness about Hogg and the Shelleys. I couldn't copy this passage from Google Books, so I jinged an image:


Here is some more of the rather strange relationship between the three of them:
Mary appears to put him off nicely, perhaps to satisfy Percy that she is willing to consider it, but it was probably never her intention, according to Mellor:


The Shelleys were happy together, but Percy wanted to live the theoretical ideal of an open marriage.

No comments:

Apture

Contributors